Well, for starters, I decided to roll out my fondant that was going to cover the cake. Once rolled out I covered it with saran wrap to avoid from drying out. Then I cut the zebra stripes by hand and started applying them to the rolled out fondant and then rolled the fondant one more time to blend the two together. It looked beautiful! Just like a printed zebra fabric. When it was time to apply it to the cake the fondant started to crack and cause elephant skin. AHHH!!! There was nothing I could do. I ripped it off and started again, this time covering the cake complete and then adding the stripes one by one. Lots and lots of fondant wasted. Lesson learned! I'm sure this technique works best if you have a fondant sheeter or maybe it was the humidity that day. I'm not quite sure what happened so if anyone has tried this technique and it has worked for you I'd love to hear from you.
Until next time, and thanks for looking!